Have finally got round to getting myself a new camera over Christmas after my last one went wizz bang kaboom. Thought I’d have a practice by taking some photos of some of my recent spoons. Had ago playing with some lighting effects on a few of them with the lamp on my desk, Something cheap and cheerful which gave some good effects.
These spoons are from a small log of birch which I got down from Peterborough. Carved them up over a couple of weeks, roughing them out then leaving them to dry out over 2-3 weeks and finishing them later. The reason I did them over three weeks is partly due to other commitments.
3 easting spoons and a server.
A close up of the tooled finish. getting better.
Had a go at soaking the spoons in linseed oil to get the transparent affect. its an interesting effect thought the spoons do leak linseed oil everywhere. possibly they need more time to cure. Also with the serving spoon I had ago at carving a design on the handle to add a little bit of pisaz.
These being the first spoons of 2011, am looking forward to carving more spoons.